Social video is a component of an integrated marketing plan designed to increase audience engagement through social activity a trend in Social Media Marketing. My definition of social video is a digital video that is designed to be seen and shared through social networks.
“Social video” covers a lot of ground It can refer to something as carefully crafted as a Super Bowl commercial, or something as raw as a live stream on Facebook.
As each social network has their unique audience, social videos need to be optimized for each channel differently. A video that works on Facebook may need not work on Instagram, hence a serious edit should be done before it can work on Instagram. And you might have to take an entirely new approach to video on Snapchat or Twitter.
Live social videos need to be about authenticity and real-time engagement. They should feel like a conversation between you and the viewer.
Many people confuse social video with viral video, but there’s a key difference. Social media videos may not get millions of views and still be a success. Social videos tend to be passed along because of a shared interest or a sense of trust between sender and recipient(s). Social videos attract conversation in either a one-to-one or a one-many relationship, rather than moving in a one-way trajectory, as in the case of a viral video.
Statistics about Social Video
- 85% of Facebook videos are watched without sound.
- 93% of Twitter videos are watched on mobile.
- 10 billion videos are watched on Snapchat every day.
- More than 50% of videos are watched on mobile.
- 14% of marketers used live videos in their social media marketing in 2016.
- 50% of marketers plan on using live videos.
- 200 million Periscope users have created more than 200 million broadcasts.
- Facebook Live Videos are watched 3x longer than regular videos.
- Facebook users comment 10X more on Live Videos than they do on regular videos.
- YouTube has over a billion users, with hundreds of millions of hours watched daily and billions of views.
- Videos are 6X more likely to be retweeted than photos and 3X more likely than GIFs.
- A Facebook video receives, on average, 135% more organic reach than a Facebook photo.
- 80% online videos will account for more than 80% of all consumer internet traffic by 2020.
Years ago Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said, “Ten years ago, most of what we shared and consumed online was text. Now it’s photos, and soon most of it will be video. We see a world that is video first with video at the heart of all our apps and services.” Now it’s reality.